Sunday, October 14, 2007

Fun with Flickr


Abbey Road

I'm finding Flickr to be very addicting. As I've been working with it the last couple days, I've been searching through hundreds of photos. Today alone I spent almost two hours (I am ashamed to admit) looking at photos from various places like London, St. Paul, Minneapolis, Hastings (where I grew up), Red Wing (where I teach), and other places I've traveled.

I finally chose London for my slideshow. I studied abroad in London during college and have been back twice since then. All of these photos were taken by my sister, my friends or myself. Although there are lovely pictures of London that I found on Flickr I decided to use photos that I have taken. I am by no means a photographer, but these photos bring back specific memories. I must admit, some of these photos are incredibly cliched, most being common attractions in London. Flickr is nice for organizing my photos together, something I can't seem to do myself.

Flickr would be helpful for creative writing. I could give students a slideshow and make up a story. Also, while studying the setting of a work of literature, it would be helpful to create a slideshow of the setting of the story. Students could use photos to create imagery or poetic writing as well.

1 comment:

Sarah Jarrett said...

I love London! Your ideas of uses for Flickr all sound good. My students just finished Catcher in the Rye and I realize now that Flickr would have been very useful in having them look more closely at the streets of New York Holden was wandering. I also like the idea of showing a slideshow and having students write a story. My sophomores freewrite at the beginning of the hour each Friday. They would get a kick out of writing about a slideshow I put together.

It's amazing how many photos are on the site...even photos of small Minnesota towns!