Sunday, December 2, 2007

Online Feedback

Giving students feedback on their writing is an area where I really need to improve. It takes me awhile to grade essays thoroughly and so often my feedback is not immediate. I like that with digital writing I can give feedback more quickly.

Since it's difficult to edit for mechanics, grammar, spelling mistakes without a paper copy, I think the best way to give online feedback is to focus solely on content. Which I need to work on anyway. Sometimes I focus too much on minor details in students' essays.

I think the best way to give feedback is to ask questions. This is what I usually do when reading drafts of students' essays anyway. I think this is very helpful for students peer editing writing as well. They need a guide and need to know what to look for. Answering the questions allows for them to look at their peers' writing critically.

With other disciplines it's more important that students answer a specific question or set of questions in writing. With language arts, there are multiple components that I look for in students' writing. For example, I try to work on developing students' voices in their writing. This is something that I assume math and science writing is not as concerned about.

No comments: