Monday, December 10, 2007

Website Readability

I decided to look at aol.com versus yahoo.com. The reason I chose these were because I must view these two websites dozens of times a day. For some reason AOL is my homepage. I've tried changing it before but it always seems to come back to aol.com. I'm embarrassed because I should be a little bit more computer savvy with this than I am. I use yahoo as my primary email address.

I think aol.com is designed very effectively, at least it is for me. I never intend to go to aol.com except to open my internet. However, almost every time I do go to the site, one of the revolving stories with pictures captures my interest and I end up clicking on that story. The revolving story idea is very effective. It changes about every 5-10 seconds and so I exposed to multiple stories while I'm just trying to connect to the internet. Also, aol.com separates their news stories in an effective way. I just need to scroll down to read "Top News" or "Entertainment News" etc.

I am not a fan of yahoo.com. I only use the site for email. Yahoo rarely catches my attention with stories. There is no revolving news story with graphics. There is only one main story with a graphic. Also, the webiste is very cluttered with headings that are difficult to pick out at first glance.

I do think aol.com is very cluttered as well but it has more prominent headings and graphics that change continuously. But as far as grabbing my attention when I have no intention of looking at the website, aol is much more effective.

No comments: