Thursday, December 13, 2007

Reflection

Part of the reason I took this class is because I was a complete neophyte at digital writing technology. After finishing this course, I would no longer say I am a complete beginner and I am excited about using what I've learned with my classes. I did not really know what vlogs were and I would like to incorporate those in my classroom. I also liked learning about podcasts and how to actually make them. This is a great way to get students writing scripts. Digital poetry is also exciting to me. Students either love or hate poetry and I think incorporating digital poetry would get more students to love poetry.

Because of this class, I've been reminded that there are multiple ways to teach writing besides just the essay format. Sometimes I get too focused on the curriculum I'm supposed to teach and the standards I'm supposed to follow that I forget there are other ways of meeting these standards. I think that's what I took away most from this class. I've been so influenced by various teachers over the years that the essay is the end all in the English class and that is just not true any more. Of course it's important and actually digital writing can help with writing essays as well, but there is so much more out there for students (and teachers) to experience and experiment with. Ultimately I want my students to be engaged in what they're learning and digital writing really does this. I know I've been engaged this semester with all I've been learning.

In students' portfolios I would have them include multiple drafts of their writing. I think it's important for students to see their first stages of writing up to the finished product. Portfolios can be extremely beneficial for students to see that they have made progress in their writing. When I have students look back at their writing from the beginning of the year to the end of the year, they are amazed at what they had written and how they've improved. Even if they haven't improved that much, I think often they forget about their writing once it's turned in. When they look back on it, they can pick out more mistakes and skills they still need to work on.

I think wikis can be helpful with editing and reflecting on writing. Students can look back on the specific changes they've made to their writing. Also, blogs can be helpful as well. It gives them a place to post their writing and see how they've progressed throughout a semester or a school year.

No comments: